Safari like the original pioneering explorers through the beating heart of the Okavango – the Moremi Game Reserve. This authentic mobile safari visits the west and east Moremi, the beating heart of the Okavango with superb game viewing. Mobile safaris are ideal for adventurous travellers looking for a pure safari experience and raw wilderness. Guiding is top notch, the camps are comfortable and the groups small ensuring a personalised safari experience. A great option for adventurous travellers -couples, friends and solo travellers. Extensions and variations available too. Min age 12 years, but private safaris available.
Operated by the leaders in scheduled departure mobile safaris, Letaka Safaris, this safari combines comfortable accommodation with the company’s experienced and highly regarded guides.
Guiding is key to any safari, but most importantly on a mobile safari. Here you are in excellent hands. Letaka, the operator, also founded the Okavango Guiding School and have trained many of the country’s top guides. Keeping the groups small, with a maximin of 7 people allows the guide to interact with everyone and address all interests. This creates a much more personal safari experience than the larger groups – although this comes at a premium it is worth it. The minimum age is 12, though private safaris can be arranged for families.
This safari explores two distinct areas of the Moremi, Xakanaxa in west Moremi and Khwai in east Moremi, a perfectly balanced Okavango safari.
The safari begins with 3 nights in the beautiful Xakanaxa region. This is the heart of the Moremi, at the tip of the Mopane tongue, an area marked by mopane woodland, wide open grass floodplains and the lovely Xakanaxa lagoon. Ephemeral water pans dot the lands and make for find sundowner spots. Excellent resident game is a feature of Xakanaxa – large numbers of antelope live here and lion, leopard and hyena are seen regularly.
From here you drive to the east of the Moremi, to the Khwai Community Concession for 3 nights, another beautiful area and also home to excellent resident game. Woodland and lagoons peppered with lilies are home to a variety of animals. The predator numbers are impressive here- lion, leopard and wild dog are resident here, hyena too. This area also provides diverse activities and is explored on foot, by dug-out mokoro and both day and night game drives.
The itinerary ends with a charter flight back to Maun in time for the midday international departures. Please speak to us for more information on extensions – we can arranged an add-on into the deep Okavango, Chobe, Kalahari, Victoria Falls and more.
This safari includes:
• Spacious and comfortable tented accommodation, including beds, bed linen and towels, with a private bathroom en-suite.
• The tents are 4 x 3m Sahara style tents with high roof with a 2 x 3m en-suite bathroom and a 2 x 3m covered area in front of the tent. The tents are fitted with solid base camp beds made up with mattresses, sheets, duvets and pillows. The tents have en-suite long drop toilet facilities and a bucket shower at the rear of the tent. Hot water provided.
• Services of a professional guide, safari chef and camp assistants, complete with a supply vehicle.
• Game drives and local transfers in customised safari vehicles.
• Exclusive camping in private campsites within the national parks and reserves.
• All entrance and camping fees within the national parks and reserves.
• All meals and drinks (mineral water, soft drinks, beer, wine and G&T) whilst in Letaka Tented Camps
• All activities as specified in the itinerary.
Please speak to us for extensions and additional activities. Helicopter or fixed wing scenic flights over the Okavango are highly recommended. For those looking to explore deeper into the heart of the Delta for a water safari extensions to lodges can be arranged.